Please Visit and Support the Business Owners, Groups, Associations and Organizations which make this presentation possible;

We are working to Promote and Preserve the American Dream of Small Business Success AND the Communities We Serve.

Preserving the History, Heritage and Future of Our Wisconsin Towns.

Welcome to The Wisconsin Towns Small Business Network. Enjoy Your Stay.

 

Wisconsin Towns Home     Wisconsin Towns Products and Services Page

 

Wisconsin

Our state's name first appears in 1673 in Fr. Jacques Marquette's journal of his voyage as "Mescousing" and "Miskous." His companion on that voyage, Louis Joliet, transcribed it separately as "Misconsing" in 1674. The explorer La Salle mis-read their long-hand cursive initial "M" as "Ou" in 1674, and his form of the name "Ouisconsin," was widely printed during the 1680s. It was the standard spelling for about 150 years, and only became "Wisconsin" in the early 19th century after the U.S. took control of the region (though territorial governor James Doty strongly preferred the spelling "Wiskonsan)."

Modern linguistic scholarship by Michael McCafferty has convincingly argued that the word's intended meaning, in 17th-c. Miami, was "river that meanders through something red." McCafferty concludes this was a reference to the red sandstone bluffs of the Wisconsin Dells.

www.wisconsinhistory.org

 

 

Algoma

A'Goma, "Snow-shoe" (Potawatomi). Changed in September 1897 from Ahnapee, which meant "when or at what time."

Rev. E.P. Wheeler;  A.Skinner in Milwaukee Public Museum Bulletin. r; 6 p. 399

 

 

   

 

 

Appleton

Appleton owes its name to Samuel Appleton, one of the founders of Lawrence University (1847), located in the town.

There were originally three villages where the city now stands; Lawesburgh on the east, Grand Chute on the west, and Appleton in the middle.

Source: Lawrence College, Wis. Motorist, Jan 1914 p. 77

 

 

Bear Creek

Named after the stream, which was named on account of the prevalence of bears in that vicinity in the early days.

The first settlement in what is now Bear Creek Township was made by Welcome Hyde in 1854

Source: Wisconsin County Histories, Waupaca County. Edited by John M. Ware, 1917

 

Big Falls

 

In 1887, A.W. Whitcomb erected a sawmill on this site and water from the river supplied the power. In 1890, the land was platted and the settlement became the Village of Big Falls. In 1923, Big Falls was incorporated. Today, it is one of the smallest incorporated villages in the U.S.A. The early forests were logged and lumber and shingles were milled here. The granite quarry was located below the dam. Stores, churches, hotels, railroads, saloons, a blacksmith shop, creamery, roller skating rink, ice cream parlor, coffin maker, banks, feedmill, post office and a school serviced the early village of nearly 500 residents. After the forests were cleared of timber, Scandanavian and German farmers tilled the fertile soil. Today, the greater Big Falls area has seen a return of timber production and milling of lumber as well as a continuation of the tradition of family farms.

From a Landmark Memorial Plaque Donated by the Big Falls Lions Club

Black Creek

Originally called Middleburg by a settler. It later became known as Black Creek, for a dark creek at the edge of town.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

    

Black River Falls

On the falls of the Black River

In Ojibwe, "Makatewagami-Kakibikang" (Black Water Falls).

 

 

Bonduel

 

 Named for Father Floribrant Bonduel, a Jesuit Priest who started a chapel here for the Menominee Indians.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

 

Brillion

Although it was the last community in Calumet County to be settled, the origin of how Brillion got its name seems to have been forgotten. There are, however, several theories as to how the name came about. First known as part of the town of Woodville and later nicknamed Spring Creek, Brillion's last known name was Brandon. The name McMullenville was also used for a short time. Some believe the name Brillion came about in 1855, when the post office arrived in the settlement. It is said the first postmaster, T.N. West, gave the settlement the name Pilleola-a name he made up from a combination of the letters in the names of his two daughters. The story goes he sent the name into the post office department, where it was rejected and changed to Brillion. A 1930 issue of The Brillion News stated the name of the settlement was changed to Brillion in 1857 at the annual town meeting. That could coincide with the post office theory if the town was merely making official the name given the settlement by the post office. A claim was made in the Nov. 16, 1945 issue of The Brillion News that, according to a book entitled A History of the Origin of the Place Names Connected with the Chicago and Northwestern and Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Railroads, Brillion got its name from a town named Brillion in Prussia. The name was brought over by German immigrants who settled in this area. Others say Brillion was named after a Mr. Brill, a prominent citizen in this area in the early days.

Source: "Brillion, Wisconsin. The First 100 Years". Laura Behnke, Research and History Editior. Zander Press, Inc. 1985

 

 

Brussels

 

"With its 400 kilometres of coasts bathed by Lake Michigan and Green Bay, the Door Peninsula is the first tourist destination of Wisconsin. More exactly, it is the half north of the Peninsula, still very woody, that attracts the townsman and woman. In the South, where agriculture got the upper hand, cars pass but do not stop. It is there, in the middle of the cornfields, that lives in the United States the most important communities of Belgian origin, scattered in a dozen villages in the suggestive names: Namur, Brussels, but also Dyckesville, recollection of an emigrant native from Antwerp, Belgium. In the middle of the XIX century, some thousand Belgians emigrated in the USA to avoid the misery that raged in campaigns, especially in Brabant and around Namur..."

Written by Daniel Delisse, August 10, 2005-"Le Soir"-Serie 5/6

 

 

 

Cambria

 

In 1844 John Langdon and four sons started a sawmill on Duck Creek using a hand-operated pit saw. One man stood in a pit and the other on a frame holding the tree trunk lengthwise over it. Soon they built a dam over the creek for power, and the place was called Langdon's Saw Mill. When a flour mill was added the Langdons called the place Florence. The Langdons has no money left to buy machinery for their flour mill so they borrowed from James Bell. When they failed to meet payments Bell took possession and changed the name to Bellville. Bell sold the property in 1851 to two men of Welsh descent and left the town. By this time the Welsh people were coming to settle and they gave the town the old Roman name for Wales. The Welsh call their country Cymru

The Romance of Wisconsin Place Names. Gard and Sorden. October House, 1968

 

Dedicated to the memory of my Grandmother, Adelia Westphal. June 2, 1917-December 5, 2012

Cecil

In 1883 the Milwaukee, Lake Shore and Western Railway (later Northwestern) extended its line from Clintonville to Oconto. When the railroad was finished in 1884 the new settlement at the head of Shawano Lake was named after a railroad man, Cecil Leavitt.

The Romance of Wisconsin Place Names. Gard and Sorden. October House, 1968

 

 

Chilton

A spelling mistake on the ballots that were used to determine a name for the town is where the name Chilton came from., the name on the ballot was supposed to read "Chillington" instead. John Marygold, a native of England, wished the town to be called Chillington, after Chillington Hall, his English home. Patrick Donaher, the county clerk, received only a verbal message, and in recording the name somehow omitted the second syllable, making it Chilton

Milwaukee Journal. February 21, 1932.

 

 

Clintonville

At the junction of Bear Creek and Embarrass River, the city was founded in 1855 by Norman Clinton when his ox became sick, halting his journey to the north woods. In 1857 a sawmill was built and the settlement was named Pigeon, for wild pigeons are said to have been so abundant that they could be knocked down in flight with a long pole. When Clinton was made postmaster the following year the registrar, having forgotten the name "Pigeon," mailed the commission simply to "Clinton of Clintonville," and the name was retained.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Coleman

A Mr. Coleman owned much of the land in the area.

The Romance of Wisconsin Place Names. Gard and Sorden. October House, 1968

 

 

Coloma

Charles White, who returned from the gold fields of California in 1852, named this township after Coloma in California where gold was discovered. Coloma Corners grew up near the west side of the township. When the railroad came through it missed Coloma Corners by two miles, so a little village called Coloma Station began, which later became known as Coloma.

The Romance of Wisconsin Place Names. Gard and Sorden. October House, 1968

 

 

 

Dale

The Town of Dale, officially created on November 18, 1853, is located in the southwestern portion of Outagamie County. The Town has a current population of 2,483 and encompasses a land area of five by six miles (30.4 square miles) or approximately 19,456 acres. Once known as Poker Flats, Dale is named for the geographical lay of the land.

 

 

 

Denmark

Settled in 1848 by immigrants from Denmark who named the capital of their new "kingdom" Copenhagen, and spoke of the leading family, Niels Hans Gotfredsen and his wife, as "the king and queen of Denmark"

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

De Pere

The first structure located where Old St. Joseph Church now stands was a small chapel erected in 1676 by Father Albanal, a building which stood for almost 200 years. Almost a century later, two Jesuit missionaries were murdered by Indians near the site of the present church. This forms the basis for the contention thata the City of De Pere received its name from the phrase "Deux Peres," meaning, "two fathers."

www.snc.edu

 

 

Dyckesville
In the year 1861, about the time of the Civil War, Louis Van Dijcke bought a large tract of land in northwestern Kewaunee County. He donated three acres for a Roman Catholic Church. The church was built and oddly enough it was named St. Louis Church. The subsequent village was named Dyckesville, after the donor of the land (Van Dijcke).
http://www.voiceinoff.com/Dyckes/home.html

 

 

Egg Harbor

Mythical name attributed to an egg tossing battle between two schooner crews after a race to see who could land in the harbor first. Winners tossed eggs at the losers. So far, at least 5 unrelated people have told us it was their ancestors who were captains of those two ships. Another legend says it was named by an early pioneer who may have found a nest of bird eggs in the 1830s. Village of Egg Harbor was settled by Jacob and Levi Thorp. Carlsville is part of this township, so-named because of the four men, all named Carl, who were its first settlers.

www.doorcountyhistory.com

 

Or...

 

Egg Harbor was named by Mr. Increase Claflin. He named it Egg Harbor because in the process of retrieving a horse shoe out of the harbor, he found a nest full of duck's eggs. Once called Hat Island, and also once called Horseshoe Bay

Source: p. 396 of Holand, History of Door County, Wisconsin, v.1.

 

Embarrass

A French word was first attached to the river. It means to impede, to obstruct, or to entangle. Many of the early lumberjacks were French Canadians. When they tried to send logs down the river they found it almost impossible because of the many snags and other debris. They called it Riviere Embarrase.

The Romance of Wisconsin Place Names. Gard and Sorden. October House, 1968

 

Freedom

Named by an escaped slave named Andrew Jackson. The township, which considered Jackson a neighborhood friend, wanted to name the town "Jackson." Jackson refused and said the name should be "Freedom," for that's where he found his freedom after escaping from a slave master in the south, around the year 1850.

Wausau Daily Herald. August 29, 1921

 

    

 

 

Fremont

Old Timers say the village was named after Colonel John Fremont who explored California and fought in the Mexican War.

The Romance of Wisconsin Place Names. Gard and Sorden. October House, 1968

 

 

Gillett

Named for Rodney and Mary Roblee Gillett, who settled here in 1858. Originally called Gillett Center

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

Grand Chute

The French gave Grand Chute its name by referring to the large rapids in the lower  Fox River as la grande chute when directing other travelers to the area. Grand Chute was established on April 3, 1849 in Brown County (Outagamie County did not become a County until 1851). When Grand Chute became a town it was located on the Fox River.

Pictured: Gordon Bubolz Nature Preserve. www.bubolzpreserve.org

 

 

Green Bay

Menominee Indians called it "putci-wikit" or "pji-kit" meaning  "a bay in spite of itself."  The French named it "La Baie Verte," meaning "Green Bay," for the greenish color of the water.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

 

Greenleaf

The Milwaukee Railroad built a track through the community about 1870, and the name was chosen either for the contractor who did the grading, or for the president of the railroad.

The Romance of Wisconsin Place Names. Gard and Sorden. Heartland Press, 1988.

 

 

Greenville

Created 12 March 1850 in Brown County. Set off to Outagamie County 17 February 1851. The Town of Greenville is a rapidly growing community located west of the City of Appleton with a population of  8,750 and growing.

Wisconsin Historical Society-Dictionary of Wisconsin History and www.townofgreenville.com

 

Hobart

The Village of Hobart, named for Episcopal Bishop John Henry Hobart (1775-1830), who helped relocate many of the Oneida Indians from New York State, became a town of Brown County in 1908.  Hobart became a Village in 2002.  The Village celebrated it’s centennial in 2008.

www.hobart-wi.org

 

 

Hortonville

Named after Alonzo Horton (1813-1909). Horton was born in Connecticut. In 1848 he purchased land in this heavily forested area and built a dam across Black Otter Creek to power a sawmill. Water collecting behind Horton's dam formed Black Otter Lake. Hortonville, named after its founder, quickly developed. Wooden aqueducts were extended from the lake to power the saw, flour and gristmills. Hotels, general stores, and taverns created the present Main Street. This small community was incorporated as the Village of Hortonville in 1894. In the early 1850s, Horton headed west. He became a prospector and tradesman in the San Francisco, California area. In 1867 he took a steamer down the coast and bought land, using his promotional skills to found New San Diego, where he continued to be a colorful character into old age.

State Historical Society of Wisconsin

 

 

 

Kaukauna

"Over the years it has had many names: Kakalin, Cacolin, Cau Caulin, Kackaloo, Grand Kaukaulin, Grande Coquiller Rapides. The name derives from the Menominee Indian word "Ogag-kane," meaning "the stopping place of the pike," or "O-Gau-Gau-Ning," "the stopping place of the Pickerel."

"Kaukauna, Lion of the Fox." Mary Grogan-Seleen, Voyageur Magazine, Summer 1985

 

Kellnersville

The Village of Kellnersville was incorporated as a village on July 1, 1971. John Deets was the first president and Russell M. Steeber the first supervisor.

Named for Michael Kellner, the first person of Bohemian descent to come to Manitowoc County, in 1846, who built a tannery in the town.

www.manitowoccounty.org

UWDC The State of Wisconsin Collection

 

 

Kewaunee

Either the corrupt of Kakiweonan (Chippewa), "I cross a point of  land by boat" (Such a  point of land is the peninsula between Green Bay and Lake Michigan which is almost cut through by Sturgeon Bay), or rechristened in 1834 by John Hathaway from the Chippewa word for "prarie hen."

Source: Card file at the WHS Library reference desk. Wis. Hist. Coll. Vol. 1 Milwaukee Journal, Feb. 21, 1932

 

Kimberly

Known as The Cedars because the Treaty of Cedars was signed here. Renamed for Kimberly, Clark and Company, which built a pulp and paper mill here in 1889.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Lena

The town was known as Maple Valley, but because there was another settlement by that name,

George R. Hall, the postmaster, was asked to give two suggestions from which the government

should choose a new name. The government rejected both names, and his sweetheart asked why

he looked so gloomy. He explained the reason, and then the idea came to him, "I'll send in your name,"

he said. So the post office was renamed in honor of Lena, who became Mrs. Hall.

The Romance of Wisconsin Place Names. Gard and Sorden. October House, 1968

 

Little Chute

French Explorers called the falls in the Fox River La Petite Chute. The name is believed to have been translated by Father Vanden Broek, who built the first church here in 1836.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

Little Sturgeon

In Memory of Door County's First Pioneer, Increase Claflin, who settled here in 1835.

www.littlesturgeonwi.com

 

 

Luxemburg
Named by it’s German settlers for the province and city in Western Germany.

 

 

Madison

Incorporated in 1846 as the capital of the Wisconsin Territory and named for President James Madison. The capital of Wisconsin lies in the center of the dairylands of Southern Wisconsin, filling a narrow isthmus between Lakes Monona and Mendota. Winnebago Indians had a village here called Dejop, or "four lakes." "Beautiful but uninhabitable," pioneers considered Taychopera, the Four Lakes region where Madison stands today, and the left the land to the Winnebago Indians.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

Manawa

First called Brickley, then Elberton, after Postmaster Elbert Scott. Renamed Manawa after the hero of an Indian Legend.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Or...

 

Manawa

From either minewa = "again," manea = "it is scarce"; or Manepwa = "he has no tobacco or scarce of tobacco." (v) pr. min-nuh-wa = "again." This is nearest in sound-the other improbable. (w) Manawa is an algic word of uncertain meaning; it may be a corrupt form of "manepa" (he has no tobacco) or "maniwang" (any kind of fruit).  Chippewa-pronounced man-maip-wau from either minawa adverb meaning "again," manea (it is scarce) or manepwa (he has no tobacco).

Source: Card file at the WHS Library reference desk. Wisconsin History Collection. Volume 12 p.392

 

 

Manitowoc

The name is derived from the Indian words meaning "river of  bad spirits" or "devils den."

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

    

 

Maribell Caves Hotel

Austrian immigrant, Charles Steinbrecker designed the Maribel Caves Hotel. Charles died in 1892 before it could be built. His sons Father Francis Steinbecker and his brother Eugene, built the structure for the Maribel Caves Hotel in 1900. The "castle-like" style of the building is similar to those seen in Austria. Located near what is now County R (old 141) the hotel got its name from the nearby Maribel Limestone Caves. The structure is made of limestone from the area. Thirty masons, commissioned by Father Francis of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Kaukauna, completed the project in four months. The Steinbrecker family first ran the therapeutic "spa" where guests primarily clergy benefited from the effects of the mineral spring water. After several years of operation, a bottling plant was built next to the hotel. Fine Maribel spring water was sold to fine hotels and restaurants in Milwaukee, Chicago, and other other cities. The hotel operated until the late 1920's. When Father Francis died in 1927, the hotel experienced a change in guests. These guests included bootleggers, mobsters and prostitutes. The hotel was sold in a Sheriff's auction in the early 1930's and later operated as a tavern. In 1985, fire destroyed the inside of the structure. Only the stone walls remain. It was purchased with the intent to restore the structure. As of yet the restoration has not begun.

Manitowoc County-Histories of Villages and Towns.

 

 

 

Menasha

The name comes from a Menominee Indian word meaning "thorn" or "island."

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

 

Mishicot
Daniel Smith, who erected a sawmill here in 1844, named the village after his friend, Chief Mishicott, as a sign of his respect for the leader of the area Potawatomi community. His name means "hairy legs". In 1853 settlers called the town "Saxonburgh," but the name was changed back to Mishicot in 1855. A hill and a county road on the east end of the village still carry the name.
The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990 and www.mishicot.org

 

 

Montello

In the fall of 1849 a meeting of half a dozen settlers was held at the house of  J.N. Dart, to give the town a name. Five of  six propositions were made but Jos. R. Dart who had read of Montello in a novel carried the day.

P. 299 of Green Lake Marquette and Waushara Counties

 

 

Neenah

First called Winnebago Rapids, the city was later renamed from the Winnebago Indian word for "running water."

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

            

    New London

Established in 1852 and named for New London, Connecticut, the birthplace of the father of Reeder Smith, one of the city developers as well as the builder of the plank road between Appleton and Stevens Point.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Nichols

Named for Albert L. Nichols, who established the town.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Oconto Falls

Oconto takes its name from its chief river. The significance of this word is variously given as "red ground" or "the place of the pickerel" or the Menominee word for "black bass."

Description from John W. Hunt's 1853 Wisconsin Gazetteer: "Oconto County."

 

Omro

First called Smalley’s Landing, later Beckwith Town, for settler Nelson Beckwith. Platted in 1849 as Omro, in honor of Charles Omro, an Indian trader.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

    

 

Oshkosh

Previously known as Athens, in 1840 it was named for Chief Oskosh of the Menominee Indians. Over a period of time the first "H" was added and the emphasis placed on the last syllable. The city lies on a marshy plain where the Upper Fox River flows into Lake Winnebago.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Plover

Originally known as Plover Portage (to 1844), then Algernon (1857) and Stanton (to 1864) then Plover.

From the Chippewa "Au-puh-ki-ra-kan-e-we-se-be", meaning "river of flags"

Wis. Hist. Coll. v1, p. 120, The Portage County Historical Society. www.pchswi.org

 

    

Portage

Portage is a French word meaning "carrying place," referring to boats having been carried from the Fox to the Wisconsin River

Henry Gannett, 1905. Names, Geographical, pg. 250

 

Port Edwards

First called Frenchtown, for the large French population. Later named for John Edwards, Sr., who built a sawmill here in 1840

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

 

Pulaski

Named in honor of Count Casimir Pulaski of Revolutionary War fame.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Reedsville

First called Mud Creek. Later named in honor of Judge George Reed of Manitowoc

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Royalton

The town is situated south of Little Wolf and west of Mukwa; was first settled in 1848 by Messers. Hicks and Gill. It was organized in 1854, George E. More being Chairman of the Board. In 1857 the first schoolhouse was build in North Royalton. The first sermon was preached by Rev. Mr. Stevens in 1854, and the Congregationalists erected the first church in 1856. Ellis N. Royalton, for whom the town and village was named, built the first store in 1853, and T. and H. Gill the first saw mill in 1850. The village itself has two hundred inhabitants and is growing.

From Wisconsin County Histories, Waupaca County. Edited by John M. Ware, 1917

 

 

 

 

Shawano

Named after Shawano Lake, which was called "Sha-wah-no-hah-pay-sa." The Menominee words for "lake to the south."

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

Sherwood

Established as Lima in 1858. Later called Nicolai's Corners for settler Steven Nicolai, and then called Sherwood for a Civil War veteran of that name.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

 

Shiocton

First called Jordan's Landing or Jordanville, for Dominicus Jordan. Later named Shiocton for Chief Shioc of the Menominees. His name meant "by the force of wind."

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

Stangelville

Organized by JohnOrganized by John Franks and originally known as Franksville. John Stangel settled in Tisch Mills in 1853 and with his sons, migrated from Tisch Mills and bought the store and tavern once owned by Mathias Roidt. When the post office was established on March 3, 1890, the Stangel brothers renamed the village, and called it Stangelville

 

Sturgeon Bay

Called Graham in 1855, then Ottumba, and then Graham again. In 1860 it was named Sturgeon Bay because the bay

here had a lot of sturgeon fish.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

Tisch Mills

As the available land to the south became more difficult to obtain, new arrivals began to gravitate northward. In this valley through which flows the East Twin River, many found what they were looking for. This area had been known to the Indians of the area for a long time before the coming of the new inhabitants. The village of Black Earth; their summer hunting ground, was located along this same river a short distance to the northeast. The settlement of this area was typical of the settlements of other areas of the county at that time. A mill, usually a sawmill, was erected with the community developing around the mill. In this case two mills were built on the banks of the river; a sawmill and a gristmill. The community still carries the surname of the first owners of these mills, Charles and William Tisch.

This was a heavily wooded area in the early days of settlement, so as in most areas of the county, incomes were supplemented not by farming, but by selling or trading forest products such as bark or shingles. As the land was cleared of trees, agriculture replaced lumbering as the economic mainstay of the community. While many of the former business enterprises are gone, such as the brewery, blacksmith shop, cheese factory, and brickyard, some of them still survive although not necessarily in the original buildings. The latter include the mill, the store, and the Forst Inn. The church too, although not the original building, has been in the community since the early days of the settlement.

This community, although its development is similar to many other communities in Kewaunee County, is somewhat unique in that it, like Rosiere and Dyckesville, span the line between the two counties.

Kewaunee County Historical Society

 

 

Two Rivers

Named for its location between the East and West Twin Rivers. At the confluence of the Mishicot and Neshoto Rivers, which unite here to flow into Lake Michigan in a single channel, Two Rivers was once the busiest port in the region, but lost its position in the late 1870's to Manitowoc.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

Valmy
Named for Valmy, France, the scene of a major, decisive battle on September 20, 1792 as part of the Revolutionary Wars following the overthrow of the French Monarchy. Also known as the Cannonade of Valmy.
Source: http://battlefieldseurope.co.uk/valmy.aspx

 

 

 

Waupaca

Derived from an Indian word which could mean: "where one waits for deer," "looking on," "white sand bottom," or "tommorow."

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

 

Wausau

The name is a Chippewa Indian word meaning "far away."

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Weyauwega

Originally an Indian village by this name was located here. The name means "here we rest."

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Wild Rose

Named by settlers from Rose, New York. "Wild" was added, possibly because there were wild roses growing here.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

    

Winneconne

The name is an Indian word meaning “place of skulls,” which came from a battle here in which the Sauks and Foxes fought against the French, Menominees and Chippewas.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

 

Wisconsin Dells

Originally known as Kilbourne, after Byron Kilbourne; in 1931 the name was changed to Wisconsin Dells, to attract tourists, for the city was a starting point for water trips up and down the Wisconsin River, here walled with carved and freakish rock.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Wisconsin Rapids

Indians called this "rabbit's place." It was later named for the rapids on the Wisconsin River.

The Encyclopedia of Wisconsin. Somerset, 1990

 

Back to Our Wisconsin Towns Home

Jeff Westphal    The Westphal Group    1332 W. Commercial Street     Appleton, WI  54914     920.809.3770